How to Get U.S. Passport for the Newborn

By Sola Idowu
Published 21/11/2021 10:57 AM

How to Get U.S Passport for the Newborn?

Are you exploring to know the process of how to get U.S. passport for the newborn? Your baby book apparently doesn't have a page for Baby's First Paperwork. It's too bad because, between the hospital, your insurance carrier, and your county's vital records department, newborns rack up a bit of paper pretty quickly.

If you want to travel internationally with your newborn, she will need one more thing: a passport. All Americans, even newborns, must have passports to fly to a different country. Getting one isn't too complicated, but it does take weeks. Start the process immediately. So here is the step by step process for how to get U.S. passports for the newborn.

Paperwork to Fill Out

You can fill out Form DS-11, Application for U.S. Passports, at the passport acceptance facility, but it's easier to print it and complete it at home. It's a two-page form that requires a lot of general personal information.

The form requires the applicant's Social Security number, which your newborn may not yet have received. If that's the case, you must write out a letter that includes the exact phrase, "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and accurate: (Child's full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration."

Documents Required for a Passport in the USA

Proof of U.S. Citizenship: Certified copy of the birth certificate issued by the city, county, or state authority will serve the purpose right. In case the child was born abroad, you need to submit the American consular report and the foreign birth certificate.

Proof of Relationship with the Applicant: A birth certificate mentioning the parents' name is good enough for this purpose. For an adopted child, you must submit the decree with the parents' names. For authorized guardians, it is required to submit the court order copy establishing legal custody.

Identification Document for the Parents: Any government-issued identity card is enough. In case one parent is absent, form DS-3053 is needed to be submitted with the absent parent's Statement of Consent.

Two US passport size photos: These photos should contain 2×2 inches in size and printed in color.

us passport

The Application Process

It's not possible to appeal for a newborn's passport online. Running errands with a newborn is inconvenient, but your baby must be present when you use it. So, you'll take your child, along with all documents and I.D., to a passport acceptance agency. Many post offices, government offices, and even public libraries have this distinction. Some allow users to make appointments, while others accept only walk-ins.

The in-person process is pretty simple. You'll present all the required paperwork to the U.S. passports or U.S. visa agent, who will check that everything is in order and accept your application fee. The fee alters based on whether you're applying for a passport book or passport card and whether you need expedited service. Prices range from $15 to $120. Plan to pay with a check or money order. Facilities don't accept credit or debit cards for application fees.

If you request a regular service, you should receive your baby's passport within eight weeks. With expedited service, the U.S. passports should be ready in just two to three weeks.

Other Ways to Make the Process Faster

Sometimes the small things make a big difference. Filling out your application form in advance (although you should wait to sign it until you're in front of the U.S. passport or U.S. visa agent) and bringing photocopies of your I.D. and your child's proof of citizenship can assist ease your application through the system a little more quickly.

Make sure your photocopy shows both the front and back of your I.D. on a sheet of regular copy paper. The same applies to the baby's proof of citizenship, although you don't need to copy the backside if there is nothing in the end. The photocopies can be enlarged if necessary, and should not be double-sided themselves.


Can I e-mail in my child's application or appeal online?

No, children applicants under 16 are not acceptable to mail in their passport applications. Additionally, the Department of State does not currently have the choice to submit passport applications online.

Can I give for my and my child's passports with one payment?

Parents may write one check or money order to the U.S. Department of State for their passport application fees if they are applying in person at a similar time. The check or money order must carry the name and date of birth of each applicant.

All other applicants must submit individual checks or money orders to the U.S. Department of State for their passport application fees. Please enter the applicant's name and date of birth on the check or money order.

What if my baby and I have different last names?

You and your baby may have different last names, as long as the parental relationship document lists your full name. If your character has changed from that on the parental relationship document, please submit proof of your legal name change (e.g., marriage certificate or court order).

New more information, please visit The U.S. department of State website

  • Comments
Please login to post your comment.